And then there were four

So it turns out that I have a perfectly good reason that I won’t be able to make Leaguefest this year.

Or, more accurately, I have two of them.

A short while ago, the Better Half and I were approached about the prospect of adopting newborn twin boys.  After some hemming and hawing and much discussion about How This Might Work, we decided to proceed with placement of these two little fellows.  Having arrived ever so slightly underdone, they spent varying amounts of extra time in the hospital before coming home.

But home they are!  Though a few legal formalities remain, the Better Half, the Critter, the Squirrel and I are happy to add Pip and Squeak to our family.  (Or rather, the Better Half, the Critter and I are.  The Squirrel is still trying to wrap her head around why there are non-her infants at large in our house.  The Critter could not possibly be more tickled at having two new baby brothers.)  I shall, when referring to them collectively, be calling them the Swarm.

So, yeah.  Leaguest, despite being held in a relatively close city wherein my best friend can be found, is a non-starter this year.  I hope you will accept my excuse.

45 thoughts on “And then there were four

1. Congrats and my sincere admiration. Y’all are doing a good thing and they are lucky kids.

That said, as I gaze at my three little ones (two still in diapers), it strikes me that *four* represents a level of insanity that makes anti-vax conspiracy theorists look downright reasonable. Good luck dude, you are going to need it.

2. Congrats! With three brothers and two dads, you daughter will be more well versed in boys and men than a lot of her peers! If we adopt a #2 and #3 we well have to talk to you about your agency!

3. Replying generally:

1) Thanks to all for the good wishes and congratulations. They are deeply and sincerely appreciated.

2) Nobody has a greater sense of how truly bananas we must be than I do.

3) Family Dinner #1 has gone well. So, y’know… that’s one horse ridden.

4) Critter’s nickname comes from a beloved movie wherein a madcap “adoption” takes place; it is the nickname I had in mind for a child from the moment I considered being a parent. Squirrel’s comes from “vaguely wild-life related nickname for a small creature.” Pip and Squeak sprang immediately to mind, particularly given that Squeak most certainly does.

4. Congrats! My parents had my three oldest siblings in as many years. You’ll work it out. Of course that’s about ALL you’ll be doing for awhile…

5. Oh my. Blessings. Many, many blessings.

Congratulations, Doc, Better Half, Critter, and Squirrel, for the exponential growth of love in your hearts. And Pip and Squeak, for having the good sense to find family so fine.

I think a baby shower is in order. How does one go about organizing an on-line baby shower?

6. Congratulations! So happy for you and your family. As the father of twin toddlers, good luck! (For the record, best advice I got was to join the local mothers of twins association (maybe the name needs some work…)–at least in Boston they have terrific tag sales, and two of everything adds up quick!)

7. Congratulations on your expanding family!

Hopefully Pip and Squeak settle down nicely and start sleeping through the night as soon as possible, and that Squirrel comes to love her little brothers as much as they’ll love annoying the hell out of her when they’re older!

I think it’s awesome Critter is happy for more kids! (My brother hated me when I was born.)

A busy house is a happy house!

8. Congratulations!!!

You, sir, are a far braver soul than I. I attribute this to your lack of interest in most things sports-related. I simply cannot imagine having any more than two – and I only have the one. With two, you at least can choose between playing man-to-man defense and zone. Once you have three, you can only play zone. But four? You’re going to constantly be trying to defend a fast break. For, like, the next 12-15 years.

• I enjoy that you note his lack of sports interests and proceed to use a rather complicated sports analogy.

When I realized that Mayo’s due date (and eventual birthday… like his father, he’s very punctual) would coincide with the Final Four, I attempted to talk to the OB/GYN about it.

It did not go well.