Weekend!

(This is a guest post from our very own Maribou!)

After an incredibly stressful work week ameliorated only by how awesome my coworkers are, I am so very happy to be looking this weekend in the face.

Because of my work schedule, I actually have an odd little pre-weekend on Fridays, when I don’t have to be at work until 2 pm.  Normally that’s what I need to make it all the way to the real weekend, which starts when I get off work 8 hours later, but this week?  This week I get to take three hours out in the middle of my workday to go to one of our campus venues and listen to CHUCK D discuss his life and writings.

That’s right, I SAID CHUCK D.

In a theater that maybe holds 400 people.

I will be showing up an hour early in the hopes of getting a seat.

Given that Jaybird’s leaving for Qatar on Monday and my sister & niece & brother-in-law are arriving in a week, I expect the rest of this weekend to be weekendly only insofar as we will be working on stressful urgent home projects / chores instead of stressful urgent work projects / chores.  And, thank goodness, there will be the delightful yet time-taking-up leaven of social things like gaming and TV dates to break up the intensity.

But!

CHUCK D.  My 15-year-old self is SO EXCITED right now.  My grown-up self is pretty darn excited too.

What’s on your docket?

(Photo is “Footrace finish line, 1925” from the Seattle Municipal Archives, used under a creative commons license)

19 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. I’m hoping the Volkswagen scandal will help business this weekend at the Chevy dealership I work at. That is so mean of me.

I’ll be packing for the big move in three weeks. I’m really excited for Halloween. I’ve already started planning the Halloween party we are having at work and I’m going to decorate my new place this weekend. And! And! My favorite part of fall!!! I’ll be cooking with fall and winter veggies this weekend. My heart and tummy will be very happy. :)

2. Well, now I know that I’ll be listening to Public Enemy.

7-year old will be over tomorrow, and I’m only just now getting my energy back from wee little bout of pneumonia, so I fully expect him to run me ragged. I’ll try to distract him with volcano movies.

3. Tomorrow maybe we get the basement ceiling finally mostly finished. Probably not the tile with the light fixture in it, as that has complication written all over it, but the rest. Later I’m going to a buddy’s place to drink beers and watch Citizen Cain, as we both realized we have never seen it; the others are going to a potluck at a hippy house.

Sunday there’s a kid’s birthday party at a provincial park just out of town. Should be a blast and I’m not going, because I really need to get my winter bike built, and this is one of what may not be very many chances I get to work on it. Also on Sunday, for the first time in over a week, the whole household gets to actually have dinner together.

4. Golf. Maintain the wife’s car. Grilling food. Dogsit the neighbor’s Bassett Hound. A friend’s birthday, including sharing a beer or two while watching my Packers play his 49ers.

5. I honestly do not know.

My hope is that, after a few very stressful weeks, I can just chill, crack a book or two, maybe watch a movie, and decompress. It seems like I have been saying that every Friday for a while now, though, and it never quite works out that way.

Still, fingers crossed.

6. We put the air conditioning unit back in its storage space for another season. It’s always weird to transition from going to bed with a low constant rumble to going to bed with the only noise being what’s going on in the neighborhood.

7. I will be/am batching it again, as my wife is out visiting her father. Her mother passed away a few months ago, just before her parents were moving from west Tennessee to Sun City Arizona, causing her to go out for a month not long ago. A week after her mother passing, her father broke his ankle and being diabetic the healing time has been very long, which is a huge reason that she is going out again. Couple all of that with me not being able to travel any real distance due to being out on disability right now and having to put the family dog to sleep a few weeks ago, well, the stress/grief level is really high around here. It looks like she will be going out for a weekend once a month or so for the foreseeable future.

So, not much happening here, maybe some reading.

8. I just picked up a copy of the newest Neal Stephenson book yesterday, and I’ll probably crack it open this weekend. Don’t have much in the way of plans otherwise, so hopefully I can get a ways into it.