Lent!

Lent is, once again, upon us.

As you know, this is when we listen to a lovely rendition of Ave Maria (as well as something somewhat less timeless) and, in recent years, discuss what we’re giving up for Lent.

Andre Rieu – Ave Maria

Well, I’ve decided to give up carbs for Lent again, as well as putting myself on a sodium restriction (I bought 6 kinds of Mrs. Dash at the grocery store last Saturday), and, on top of that, I’m giving up booze (outside of cooking with it) but since the doctor pretty much told me “lose weight, go on a salt restriction, oh, and take this medication that shouldn’t be mixed with alcohol”, I admit that, yeah, I’m kind of cheating and that goes against what we’re kind of trying to go for here.

But I’ve already put on the calendar for April 16, IN PEN, “Breakfast Buffet at Hotel Elegante“.

In an effort to not totally be cheating, I’m going to give up buying vidja games for Lent. Again.

Right after taking Maribou out on a date to a little place in Old Colorado City that makes really, really awesome pancakes.

So… what are you giving up for Lent?

(And I need another “Oh, I remember that song!” song for the post… here’s one.)

Iggy Pop – Candy

27 thoughts on “Lent!

1. I dunno. In my faith tradition it’s more common to take on something “beneficial” (service or prayer or the like) than to give up, but I’ve already started sharply cutting sweet and carbohydrate consumption (to lose weight, and hopefully so my bloodwork later this month will be good). So maybe I go with that.

In past years I tried giving up getting irritated at the little things (like when someone ahead of you in the checkout line has a ream of coupons, argues with the checker over the price of something and THEN pulls out their checkbook and starts hunting for a pen) but I was not that successful at it.

I gave up frivolous spending for a while but I found that made my general attitude worse, so….I’m not sure the aim of this is for me to be grumpy and cranky. (Then again: the “giving up frivolous spending” was not for a limited time, it was “until the budget retrenchment here ends” which is probably “never,” so)

Yeah: giving up sweets is easier for me than giving up the occasional purchase of a yard of fabric or a book. So I’m going with that.

2. alcohol and any sort of candy/cookie/sweet as a dessert or a snack. Chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast on a weekend morning are ok because that’s a main course. (just munching on chocolate chips straight out of the bag is not)

3. One of the little things I do is change how I prepare my coffee (think no sugar or no cream)… its a little bit different than giving up something (which you can train yourself to ignore or substitute) in that you have a small constant reminder of the season. Which reminds me to change my avatar… Lent Trumps Trump.

4. In the past I said that I’m a non practicing atheist. I guess to unpack that a little bit is to say that my religious beliefs reside in individual constructs. I don’t go out trying to save/convert people, I don’t really speak at length about religion unless someone interesting asks me more than a couple questions.

Lent is one of those things I never developed as a individual construct. It has always been something important to other people and something other people do.

I am a bit curious why other people have made it a construct. Is it something the family did. Is it something they learned in church. Is it something they picked up from reading a book, that they personally internalized.

So I ask the people who made it their own. How did it become important to you?

5. I don’t do much, so I don’t have anything really to give up these days. I’m already on a diet. If Lent fell in football season, that’d be a good choice, but that doesn’t happen. Maybe I should give up arena football? That’s just a formalization of a decision that I made long ago.

This Lent I’ll be working my way through St. Catherine of Siena’s Dialogue. I anticipate slow progress. Like, slow. I’d rather read the first 20 pages over 40 days than finish a book without ever having “gotten” it.

6. Lent? Isn’t that what the library did?

I kid, but, not being a catholic, I am not sure on this whole thing. I quite smoking, that was easy but took a long time, I could give up drinking, but at one beer or so a week, not sure what that accomplishes. Lets see, reading, no too fundimental and not really a sin. That is what this is about, right? Still not sure…

How about work? That do you? Now, as long as I don’t tell my wife, I am cool.

7. Not being a christian and I don’t give up anything, but I don’t celebrate Fat Tuesday either so…..I guess that balances out.

I didn’t realize it was ash wedneday until the the actual day and I started seeing folks with “dirt” on their foreheads….”ah yes…ash wednesday”. I did have gumbo though for dinner.

8. I’m giving up acquiring books (including the temporary acquisition known as borrowing of any kind, but not including people insisting on giving me stuff, because the latter would be rude). Which I do more years than not.

(Jaybird might have first figured out that Lent was useful when we went on the South Beach Diet, but I had been practicing both positive and negative Lenten obligations off and on for a long time before that. Cradle Catholic, college heretic, etc.)