Weekend!

After a fairly intense week at work (one of the quarterly tasks was due tomorrow and I got it delivered today *AND* this happened at the same time that they moved my office for the second time in two months due to renovations), I am, seriously, looking forward to this weekend.

We, apparently, have another cold front moving in so, once again, we’ll put off swapping winter for summer clothing until *NEXT* weekend and just focus on the usual weekend chores such as Whole Foods, PetSmart, King Soopers, Costco… laundry. But then I’m freaking out about laundry because when will we have time to do it because, this weekend is not only gaming night on Saturday night with the every-other-Saturday gaming group, but this Sunday night is THE OTHER SUPERBOWL: WRESTLEMANIA.

This is the big event that has it all:
The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal (which will show us who the next guy to move from “out of nowhere” to “huh, he’s going for the Intercontinental Belt”)
Neville vs. Austin Aries (the cruiserweights getting their own show is the best thing to happen to wrestling since the Monday Night Wars)
Goldberg vs. Brrrrrrrrock Lesnar
And, most importantly, Roman Reigns is going to be buried by the Undertaker.

It’s happening in the middle of freakin’ Lent which means that my usual thing of “WrestleMania should be a *FEAST*” is put on hold (maybe I’ll make an exception next year… I think I recall making one last year… anyway, not making one this year) but we’ll prepare a mountain of meats and cheeses to allow everybody to gorge out while watching the biggest event of the year.

And stagger, bleary-eyed, into work the next morning and explain “hey, sorry… WrestleMania. You know how it is.”

So… what’s on your docket?

(Image is “Play” by Clare Briggs. Used with permission of the Briggs estate.)

27 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. You know… I gotta tell ya… of all the entertainment choices / phenomenon out there the one I find most baffling is pro wrestling. I remember back in the 90’s, my manager at the Radio Shack I was working at part-time would pay $50 (with inflation, like $75 or $100 now, right?) to see some Wrestlemania thing on PPV.

I mean… you MIGHT be able to bribe me with free beer to watch something like that with you. But I ain’t never gonna voluntarily tune in, much less double my cable bill for the privilege. I’m not really a sports fan either, but that’s irrelevant since pro wrestling isn’t really a sport anyway. If I’m going to watch athletic competition I prefer it not to be scriped. If I’m going to watch scripted entertainment I have plenty of better options.

Whatever. Different strokes and all that. Enjoy your weekend. I’ll be working as usual. Hopefully I can get a decent run out of Cali for the weekend, but freight has been tight out of there.

AND, burying the lede I guess, I just got official confirmation that my daughter is getting married in a couple weeks. Just a courthouse thing to make what’s obvious official. They’ve been a couple for ten years and living together for the last seven or eight. So, I’m gaining a son!

• Well, the way *WE* do it is through the WWE Network. (It’s like Netflix for Pro Wrestling.) It’s only ten bucks a month and that gives you all the PPVs.

But before we had the WWE Network, we generally all did our best to chip in somehow. One guy brought the wings. One guy brought the drinks. One guy paid for the PPV. This allowed us to have a FEAST and a MAJOR EVENT!

Which somehow still ended up being cheaper than the nights where we all went out to Hooters to get the PPV and sit in a crowded bar surrounded by jerks.

Congrats on the wedding!

2. Hmmmm

An hour and a half of jujitsu on Sat. I missed the Tier 2 thursday due to dumbasses at work. Then it’s “taco sat” with the gal. Fresh margaritas…still can’t beat the ones at Ricardos in AZ.

Oh, and PLENTY OF FALLOUT 4. Maybe hit that final expansion pack for Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Packing for Vacation too.

3. I’m just pre-emptively reminding myself tomorrow is April Fools’.

(When you grow up as an unpopular child in school and all….I dislike April Fools’).

I have to go grocery shopping but this is “payday weekend” and also April Fools’ so….ugh. Maybe I just eat canned goods off the shelf this coming week.

(Today is going to be spent judging the state junior high/high school science fair.)

4. After a long week and a couple all-nighters, I am fleeing the state for a weekend anniversary getaway with my wife. This is much-needed, even if it means stepping away from Breath of the Wild for a few days. TBH, that game has kind of turned me into a hermit.

5. Going to see Son Volt Saturday, preceded by a Mexican dinner with friends.

Also, swinging a paintbrush.

And, wondering if there is any Leaguefest 2017 news. Will there be one?

6. Your post made me check my calendar. I thought… I don’t think I have any plans! I’m going to run off to the beach with Junior and do all of those fun beach things no matter what the weather has in store. In fact, I’m going to rush home on my long lunch today and pack!

Alas, my cousin’s half sister, whose not even technically related to me, is having a going away party. In the four years she’s lived here, we have not gotten close and I only see her at family functions. But in my family, we’re family, so I’ll be attending her party. And sober, ugh, bummer!

Which brings me to a surrobaby update. All of my surro friends are popping! I’m only 23 of 40 weeks and this jumping bean has finally decided to stop making me sick so we can be friends. No more killer heartburn and no more persistent nausea! However, I think my scale is broken. Now that I’m enjoying food again, things have gotten ugly between us.

7. I had a hard week (I spent about 12 hours asleep overnight and I’m still exhausted) – so I’m really looking forward to lying around doing nothing a lot. Fortunately I get dibs on the recliners at Wrestlemania, so the two will combine well.

We also have gaming on Saturday night, looking forward to playing Lords of Waterdeep for the first time in a while.

8. Its the monthly meeting of the Gotham Swing Club. I’m going for three hours of lessons and dancing the night away on Saturday. Anybody else on this blog dance West Coast Swing?

• I went to West Coast Swing events a couple of times, but it seemed like most of the people there were much older than me. It was kind of funny watching people my parents’ age dance to the kind of music high school kids listen to. Ironically, actual swing dancing is mostly college kids dancing to the kind of music my grandparents’ generation used to listen to.

• No, but I always wanted to learn swing dancing. Never found a willing partner, and most of the classes I saw advertised kind of expected you show up with a partner.

Also, I’m too old and fragile for some of the really athletic stuff now, and I’ve always been too heavy for a guy to do “lifts” with me (unless he was like Andre the Giant, and Andre’s dead)

9. Previous two weeks in Zurich.
    This past week, a quick trip to North Carolina and back.
    Friday, leaving for a week in Hawaii (pleasure, this time)

It’s appropriate that on the way back from NC I flew through Chicago: