Morning Ed: Society {2017.04.18.T}

Being too persistent in recommending a TV show can really backfire, according to science.

Well okay, but you can stack them. You don’t have to put them side by side.

This seems like sound advice.

Alex Abad-Santos digs in deeper to the comments by Marvel VP David Gabriel involving diversity in comics. Speaking of Marvel, they did take action here, pulling the issue and firing the artist.

This profile of Mike Judge is really, really good.

Scott Rosenberg contemplates the disappointment of Google Book Search.

I really like Demon Train Girl, Bored Dinner Girl, and Escape of Shame Lady.

I used to like ugly uniforms for the novelty, but then the Oregon Ducks made it a regular feature and it got old.

Managing Editor
Home Page Twitter Google+ Pinterest

Will Truman is a former professional gearhead who is presently a stay-at-home father in the Mountain East. He has moved around frequently, having lived in six places since 2003, ranging from rural outposts to major metropolitan areas. He also writes fiction, when he finds the time. ...more →

51 thoughts on “Morning Ed: Society {2017.04.18.T}

1. That Rothman dude in the Judge piece sounds almost like HE walked out of a Mike Judge film…

Idiocracy is one of the most uncomfortable movies I’ve ever seen. (I teach college). My brother, who used to work as an actuary at the headquarters of an international insurance company says that Office Space is one of the most uncomfortable movies he’s ever seen….Judge knows something.

• The inane culture satirized in Office Space still holds pretty true though even that’s gotten worse. Office Space predates Enron so doesn’t include the massive CYA bureaucracy, trainings, and and enforced cultural norms/focus on ‘optics’ that have followed. Also even though Wall Street has done well since 2008 the world is still precarious for a lot of people whereas Office Space came out during boom times. Now you’d need to throw a lot more paranoia and buck passing into the mix (among plenty of other things).

• Oh man, yes. All the mandated training sessions: how not to sexually harass, what to do if someone shows up truly intent on burning the place down, how to avoid needle-sticks. (That last one may be unique to campus/hospital settings, though – we all had to do the no-needle-stick training, and by “all” I mean “not just the biologists but the historians and English profs and art profs too”)

And yeah, there would be that person wandering around, muttering worriedly about how they were gonna lose their job and THEN what would they do?

• As of yet, we don’t need no stinkin’ badges. But yeah, the badge-on-a-lanyard could represent a threat to the employee (Breakaway lanyards, I suppose)

(We’re supposed to carry our IDs with us, but I’ve never been asked to show mine anywhere other than to check out a book at the library).

We have to do CRASE training (active shooter awareness) annually; that’s bad enough.

What I found more useful though was the (optional) workshop on how to de-escalate when you’re working with an angry, angry person.

• Admittedly lanyards are choke hazards. I’m actually not sure what the tensile strength of a tie is, but they make some of those lanyards tough. (And also, generally, thinner than ties).

Of course if you’re working in the fab shops you’re not supposed to wear ties anyways, but you ARE supposed to carry your badge with you so that’s probably a good enough reason.

And if they’re already handing out breakway lanyards to the fab guys, they might as well source all their lanyards to the same place and give them to everyone. Can’t hurt.

• For two summers in university I had jobs doing computer programming.
              Everyone who was doing summer work on campus took the same safety course – the groundskeepers who used various rapidly whirling blade machines, the folks doing lab work with radioactive materials and incredibly poisonous chemicals and live pathogen samples, agriculture and vet med students working with large animals, and us computer desk sitters.

It was kind of interesting, but I can’t say I learnt a lot of direct use for that summer’s work.

• One of the great advantages to working in a small, real person law firm or even all but the biggest of law firms is that there are rarely enough people to justify what goes on in the rest of regular white collar corporate America. I never had to deal with HR or annual performance reviews in my life.

• That part of in house actually isn’t so bad. Everywhere I’ve been has had a tacit acceptance that Legal is different. You go through the same motions as everyone else but it isn’t what you’re judged on.

The parts I struggle with have more to do with the human interactions. There are good business people and I actually find them a pleasure to work with. They take legal advice seriously, their risks are calculated, and you can really learn from them as much as they do from you. Unfortunately these people are few and far between. Most of your interactions are with big egos, bullshit artists, lousy salesmen, mindless box checkers, and people whose primary objective is to fly under the radar. You spend more time navigating personalities and trying to interpret nonsensical, vaguely positive corporate speak than doing actual legal work.

Granted this is just part of being a lawyer. I had plenty of stupid experiences when I was hanging out with Sean the weed dealer instead of Bob from Business Development.

• InMD,
            At least you haven’t been hired as someone’s “pet lawyer” (aka “This person is too important to be distracted by legal bullshit. Fix it for him”).

At least you didn’t take a JOKE legal document and accidentally conclude that you sent the Cease and Desist…

2. The “don’t give advice” article is pretty good (But it ends on a weak note. C. T. May shouldn’t hinge his/her argument on what one’s face looks like and what one’s voice does when you give advice.)

I do think it’s important to distinguish between types of advice, too. One might distinguish between solicited and unsolicited advice. One might also distinguish between advice where the advice-recipient has reason to believe the advice giver knows whereof he/she speaks and where the advice-recipient doesn’t.

(Pro-tip to would-be advice-givers: If you know someone who just graduated from college with a history major, don’t say, “have you thought about applying to a museum?” as if the recent graduate has never heard of museums before–and especially don’t do it if you don’t know of any museums that are actually hiring.)

3. TV: I fail to understand why people give any credence to “oh you MUST see it”. No I don’t. I might, but maybe not. Don’t be the herd. The herd gets slaughtered.

Oregon Ducks. I still laugh at that team name. Not as funny as the Gamecocks, but still.

• It depends. If the person dispensing the OMG has a track record of liking the same sort of TV that you do then it’s probably worth a look. Otherwise it’s just random noise. In all probability, Netflix knows your tastes better than any actual person.

The herd may very well get slaughtered, but they also get their favorite shows renewed. That’s not a very good argument for taking someone else’s viewing advice but it’s a rational motivation to dispense it.

4. I’m curious if that chart
    A) includes people who are legally married but otherwise decommitted from their spouse.
    and B) if so, if people understand that.

I am legally married. But my legal spouse and I are no longer committed to each other in any sort of romantic or physical way. As such, if I were to have sex with someone else, the answer to that question for me would be, “Yes.” But how many people would assume that meant that I was unfaithful to her?

• And I went straight away to something more like my own situation. I wonder how the answers would break down if the options were something like:

Did you ever have sex with someone other than your spouse, while married?
      1) No
      2) Yes, while legally separated from my spouse
      3) Yes, absent legal separation, with the knowledge and consent of my spouse
      4) Yes, absent legal separation, without the knowledge or consent of my spouse

And separately, I wonder what significant options I left out of the above, and how much they might reduce the number of respondents getting down to the final “we were trying to ask about having an affair” answer.

• It also presumes that sex is the only means by which an affair could be had. Sex — or physical intimacy — tends to offer a bright line when it comes to breaking commitments but it is far from the only way to do so.

I also heard of a survey that women are more likely to be bothered by emotional infidelity than physical while men are more likely to be bothered by physical than emotional. And there is probably lots we can parse from that but I think the clearest insight it offers is that physical infidelity is not the only form.

• You need to live in the state, not the district. As a practical matter, districts move around from time to time, so it’s helpful not to have your district move out from underneath you.

I love how this guy, who has lived in the district for years and is temporarily moving less than 2 miles beyond its border to live with his girlfriend while she finishes medical school, is somehow being portrayed as some sort of carpet bagger.

If people are concerned about the legality of it, there’s no problem at all. If they’re concerned about the principle of the matter, I simply don’t see why. He clearly has deep connections with the district and will reside within walking distance of its border.