Wednesday!

When doing some research into that whole backstory for Rock and Roll thing, one of the songs I touched on in my research was “Ain’t Nobody Here But Us Chickens” by Louis Jordan And His Tympany Five.

1947 HITS ARCHIVE: Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens – Louis Jordan

This was a song that was released in 1946 and hit it huge. It was one of the top (what we now call) R&B Songs of 1947 and one of the most played jukebox songs of its time.

My introduction to the song was on the Muppets, though. You might remember it too:

The Muppet Show Singers: "Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens"

That aired in 1980 (it was the Loretta Swit episode) which puts it somewhere around 34 years after the song was initially popular that I was introduced to it (and, yes, drove my parents nuts by singing it).

Which then made me think. Let’s say that the Muppet show came out with a song that was popular 34 years ago. What’d be a good choice of song for them to use?

So I checked the R&B charts and saw what was #1 somewhere around this date and thought “okay, so this song will be about as far from us right now as Ain’t Nobody Here But Us Chickens was to the people watching the Muppet Show that night.”

Here you go:

Michael Jackson – Beat It (Official Video)

So… what are you listening to?

24 thoughts on “Wednesday!

1. Right now my life is so hectic-buying another house, putting out a map of antique shops on deadline- that I really just want chill music, but with a melancholy twist!

So, Rykarda Parasol!

2. Apropos of nothing, if you like Chickens, you should check out Jordan’s Choo-Choo-Ch-Boogie, which in addition to being highly addictive is the only song I know of where every line ends with “ack.”

3. This video was also made 34 years after the song’s initial release, though the song has re-entered pop culture in a big way about halfway between those two dates.

4. “Ain’t Nobody Here But Us Chickens” was a novelty song. “Beat It” isn’t a good parallel. “She Blinded Me With Science” is a better comparison. It’s an upbeat and successful song that some people would remember, but it hasn’t been a part of our culture in the past few decades the way Michael Jackson’s music has. Besides, wouldn’t you love to see Professor Bunsen Honeydew singing it? He doesn’t have eyes! It’d be perfect.

• Other 1983 novelty-ish songs: “Down Under”, “The Safety Dance”, “Electric Avenue”, and “Stray Cat Strut”. And think what the Muppets could do with Hall and Oates’s “Maneater”.

• Hey, when I checked the R&B charts, I automatically checked the date today (at the time, the 23rd) and looked at the R&B chart for May 23rd. the closest date to that on the chart was May 21st.

If I wanted the most novelty-ish song closest to what was on the R&B charts, I would have jumped back a couple of weeks to Atomic Dog by George Clinton.

Another song that, theoretically, the Muppets could have a ball with… were the song not somewhat filthy.

• Lydia the Tattooed Lady is avuncular as it plays with double entendre.

Atomic Dog is playing with single entendres.

Now, don’t get me wrong, Atomic Dog is a much richer song with all sorts of stuff going on such that listening to an instrumental version would be only slightly less rewarding than listening to the original while Lydia is a fair-to-middlin’ vaudeville song raised to nose-bleed heights by the talent of Groucho and an instrumental version would have little to recommend it.

But the muppets could totally get away with Lydia the Tattooed Lady (indeed, they did!) while I don’t see them getting away with Atomic Dog.

Not even in the current year.

5. So, a friend of mine and I are watching Gotham.
    Albert is good for a lot of funny britishisms, and one of the good ones is “I’ll tuck you up, just like a kipper”

… he started filking that to “Like a virgin”
    It was brilliant.

6. Speaking of annoying your parents with song, Junior will not stop singing this Dr. Doofenshmirtz song from Phineas and Ferb. I’d post a video if I could find one, but you don’t want to hear that crap any way.