Weekend!

When I was a kid, Memorial Day was, like, the last vacation day at school. We’d have Memorial day and then, like, two (maybe three) more weeks of school and then SUMMER VACATION, BABY! And the school year didn’t start in earnest until almost Labor Day and then we could have a quick 3-day weekend to help ease us back into the groove of going to school.

Now, I understand, school is more or less wrapping up now. Kids are looking forward to going back to school in the middle of August. They still have fun and play with toys parents even get toys. The 10 Best Fidget Spinners for ADD and Austism in Kids are one of the most popular and help kids with special needs, but they still get bored and want to go to school, what I like to do in the summer is too contact outer banks rentals so that we can have a vacation trip as a family, I do this so my kids don’t get bored being everyday at home.

That ain’t right.

That said, due to a handful of 12 hour days this week, my timesheet is good as of closing time on Thursday and I am blessed with a 4-day weekend to help kick off the summer for me.

I’m going to spend it doing chores. We haven’t been to Costco or Trader Joe’s in a while, you see, and the apples that they have at King Soopers are just barely okay but the ones at Safeway taste like wax decorations. So we have to probably go to Whole Foods and pick up some of the artisanal small-batch apples that they sell (I keep hoping to see Kiku apples but those have a cicadia-like cycle, it seems), Costco to pick up the 55-gallon drums of this and that, and Saturday night seems to be a D&D night so I’ll likely want to hit the regular grocery store to make something or other to snack on.

(Theory: Instead of using heavy whipping cream instead of milk in the cheesecake recipe, see if Bailey’s would work.)

All in all, I am aghast that this year has whipped past as quickly as it has. How in the heck is it Memorial Day already? The year just started!

Oh my gosh! We need to grill some meat!

So… what’s on your docket?

(Image is “Play” by Clare Briggs. Used with permission of the Briggs estate.)

15 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. Road trip! I leave tomorrow right after my OB appointment to see family in California! Only 9 weeks until surrobabe arrives so I’ve got to get my fun in while I can. I’m most looking forward to swimming in the Smith River where I spent most of my summers as a child camping, getting sunburned, and eating watermelon.

Kiddos in Oregon start summer mid July and go back to school the day after Labor Day. They have to have an extra week of school this year because of all the snow days.

2. I’m going on vacation to Europe on June 1st and the MTA decided to do work over the line I use to get into Manhattan on the weekend, so I’m going to take it easy. What I might do is go on a few long walks and take photos and post them on Facebook.

3. Regarding apples: I’m looking forward to new variety that should start showing up in the stores around 2019 called the Cosmic Crisp. In the interest of full disclosure I should mention that my sister and BIL have an orchard and vineyard/winery in Washington but I haven’t asked if they’re jumping on the bandwagon. Anyway, I really appreciate a crisp, tart apple.

4. We had our long weekend last weekend, in honour of Her Majesty Victoria, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen, Defender of the Faith, Empress of India.

This weekend is mostly about the kiddo’s birthday party, for which occasion Fledermaus’s mom and both my parents are coming in to town.

Friday the theatre festival Fledermaus has been working on will open, and we’ll see how many grandparents are into seeing something there. After the weekend, Fledermaus and her mom and the kid are going to California for a week.

5. I’m working!

Someone agreed to a shortened briefing schedule on one of my cases. Defendants filed their MSJs on Tuesday and my opp is due on May 30th.

Good luck at finding an expert who is willing to work on the long weekend!

6. Camping. Heading though Portland, making a right turn on the Colombian and then slipping over into WA. Should be nice.

On a side note, god do I hate buying houses. We are super pre-approved, have a nice down ready, in other words good to go. We find a place that we both really like and make an offer. Offer is accepted. Inspections are scheduled… And the seller decides to violate contract (he accepted the sale and terms) and term the sale. So now the wife is in a foul mood, putting a pall over the weekend, necessitating money needing to be moved back into accounts (earnest money) and other hassles. And we start the process over again.

Grrr…

• Well, the camping trip was cancelled. My dog started having urination issues which necessitated a late night trip to the vet. Which discovered kidney stones. Which necessitated surgery. So, after two nail biting days, our little 15 pound dog is back in the house with a nice 4 inch scar, a handful of pills and a cone of shame.

Go Barnaby!

7. No one’s working today, except people who “have to”. I’m here since my boss is out. I have enough time to leave mid day, but “someone” needs to be here for emergencies or if the VP calls (I guess) so not sure when I’m leaving. Spending time with the GF…nothing definite yet, but Damon getting a sleep over so there probably will be tasty brunch Monday.

8. X-wing tournament in Co Springs. I’m mostly going to get the anniversary upgrade card–a participation award, essentially. But the game’s always fun.