Weekend!

I did this thing at the dentist where you go in at 8 and they say “drink this” and then they walk you back to the room and then the dentist is shaking your shoulder and walking you out to the waiting room where it’s noon, somehow.

In any case, the nurse told me that I asked for a pen and paper at a point where we were waiting for the dentist to finish something else and she handed me this note, written in my handwriting:

persistence of self
people easily hacked by drugs and memes

I’m not entirely sure what it means, though I’m pretty sure that it made perfect sense to me when I asked for the pen.

Or, hey, maybe the dentist had this “IS IT SAFE” thing going on and the note was part of my memetic defenses. I hope I wasn’t hacked and I hope I kept it safe.

I suppose I’ll never know.

In any case, this is another weekend with a “Game Night With Coworkers” where we will be playing Lords of Waterdeep at two tables. The way we have it set up is that we play without the expansions, with five players, and a sixth player to explain how verbs work, confirm that a turn is either over or not over, and otherwise direct traffic. Given the headcount we’ve received so far, there’s an off chance that we’ll have an awkward number of 13 or 14 which means that there won’t be enough of an overflow to set up a table for non-Lords players, but, if there’s 16ish showing up, we’ll set up Fluxx or Cards Against Humanity (sigh) for the overflow. (And I’ve made my normal boring cheesecakes as well as my Mudslide Cheesecake (with a small layer of caramel between the brownie and cheesecake layers).

Which makes Saturday and Sunday downright boring with the usual chores, errands, and laundry. I’m fit to bust. I can’t wait.

So… what’s on your docket?

(Image is “Play” by Clare Briggs. Used with permission of the Briggs estate.)

37 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. I’m going back to Cali

…back to Cali

My son is graduation college this weekend, so I am flying, then driving back to Cali

A quick trip to my hometown, where he goes (went) to school. Get in, get out.

2. “persistence of self
    people easily hacked by drugs and memes”

This actually makes a lot of sense if you were given a dissociative drug like ketamine.

We’ve been playing a lot of Fluxx at my house lately. I think we’ll do some of that this weekend. I’m on a research rotation now, so I may have to come in and torture some mice at some point.

Other than that, I’ll probably go swimming with my kids. We also bought Planet Earth II, which I was almost certain was CGI but now I believe in. I want to believe.

3. Oh gads. That note is why I white-knuckle my way through dental stuff, even if everyone tells me it would be better with drugs.

Well, that, and “I don’t want to have to shanghai a friend to drive me there and drive me home.”

I don’t know what I’m going to do this weekend. It’s going to be BEASTLY hot – heat indexes up in the low 100s. I might just not leave the house or even open the blinds.

At least one of the crummy old local groceries got bought out buy a fairly-nice regional chain, so in the future I may not have to drive an hour’s round-trip for grocery shopping that’s NOT wal-mart.

4. Mr T’s band is playing a county fair on Saturday, so we’ll all go out to that. The Sunday morning dance in the park things I’ve been enjoying have their last go before pausing for music festival season.

The beekeeping course was great, I’m all excited to plan & be ready to get started next spring. Because we have too much storage space for hobby stuff. Place is too empty.

5. I’m going to do something subversive.
    Maybe write a song.
    Or read a book that I shouldn’t be reading.
    Think unapproved thoughts, or something.
    I might even conjecture.

6. I have about a million questions about the dental stuff because I am The Worst Dental Patient Ever.

1) Does this happen in the regular dentist office or in a special sedation dentist office? Were there children in the next room getting their teeth cleaned and fishing a prize out of the toy chest while you were in deep space?

2) Was this ‘concious sedation’ ? I’ve heard it described in much the same way. You can respond to some commands but usually don’t remember much of it.

3) Did you need a ride home afterwards?

My doctor wants to knock me out for 3-4 hours for a crown and two cavities but that’s longer than the sum of all my other anesthesia experiences combined. On top of that, because I have sleep apnea, it’s super-important that they pay attention to my airway. After my last minor surgery they failed to put my on my CPAP when I came out and my oxygen levels were sketchy for about 30 minutes. Not fun.

• Does this happen in the regular dentist office or in a special sedation dentist office?

The regular old dentist office. They ask you “did you eat this morning?” and then “how much do you weigh?” and then they give you a somewhat calibrated dose of something or other and you don’t remember the last duration of time.

Was this ‘concious sedation’ ?

So, yeah, it was conscious sedation. Kinda. I wasn’t knocked out as much as my memories were Mementoed.

Did you need a ride home afterwards?

Oh hell yeah. Maribou drove me there and home and got me set up in the basement and then went off to work. I felt loopy for a couple of hours after that.

• That is fascinating. I really need to explore this more. My dentist said he can have someone come to the office to do the anesthesia part, but one of the things that made me uncomfortable was being in there for 4 hours with the nice gals that normally just clean my teeth seeing me all loopy. I feel like I want a more serious environment.

• Some of the modern drugs are amazing. I had an endoscopy done a few years back. The drug they used did all of relax your muscles, dry your mouth, suppress your gag reflex, block short-term memory formation, and make you cooperative. I remember nothing from 30 seconds after the IV drip started until I “woke up” 30 minutes later. According to my wife, I swallowed the probe, rolled this way and that, and let them pull the probe back up my throat, all on command. Had to be done by IV drip because you metabolize it in about 15 minutes. Foolproof enough that it was administered without an anesthesiologist.

7. I’m playing Twilight Imperium with both expansions this Saturday. Probably with six players. It’s my favorite board game in the universe and I’m chuffed.

• I managed to eke out a victory. The initial setup phase was viscious with a lot of wheeling and dealing but I managed to place a strong neighbor world to Mecatol. I drew the Hakkan and thus was able to parlay their libertarian advantages in order to bribe my neighbors to look the other way until I’d built up a sizable hold on the core. By the time the galaxy turned on me I’d secured a comfortable victory point lead but it was ground down to two points by game end. Very satisfying though I ended up winning with little beyond my home system in my possession.

• It is different, kind of intense. It’s one of those games that is going to eat your whole day if you play it. It’s unique in that even set up has strategy. It’s a galactic domination game of sorts (with victory points) and one of its many wrinkles is that the tiles the galaxy is made up of are divided among the players who take turns placing them functionally “building” the galaxy out from the neutral throne world (a highly strategic and desirable location) to the galactic edge around which your homeworlds are located (your starting points and the seats of your power). So in our games there’s a lot of bribery and threatening going on even as the galaxy is being built so as to maximize the quality of your “neighborhood” (lots of desirable worlds, few empty space tiles or hazards).
            The various races all have their own strengths and weaknesses along multiple avenues. The game objectives (to obtain victory points) change every time you play. It’s massive, complicated and laden with politics, war, economics and scientific development. People tend to either love it or loathe it.
            And the Hakkan race are trade obsessed libertarian cat people. No ones better at making “money” than they are; they can trade or facilitate trade for resources that no other race can and they’re immune to state actors who try and impede their trade deals. You’d like em.

8. I’m about to head to the WA Brewer’s Festival for Father’s Day celebrations with my dad; we’ve made a tradition of going every year for the last five or six years now, and I’m really looking forward to getting to drink a half dozen or so delicious fancy beers. Expect a boozy follow-up post to this one in about…ten hours?

• Just got back from the day out, sunburnt and drunk. I had a half-dozen double, imperial and triple IPAs and a couple of scotch ales, then finished the evening with a steak and three fingers of Lagavulin. Truly a fine evening.