Sunday!

Gregarious co-worker decided that he wanted to have everybody on the team come over to his house to watch a movie.

His house is all the way out in the middle of nowhere and he has a barn that he occasionally converts to a movie theater with his projection television.

I knew that I was going to be doing stuff this weekend that involved a game night on Friday and the usual chores and errands and so I knew that I was likely to make a token appearance at the movie night, drop off some chips and dip or a bottle of something, say that I wished I could stay but, jeez, I can’t… and then leave.

But he said what the movie we’d be watching would be… and I said “Okay. I’ll stay for the movie.”

When I told Maribou about the co-worker’s movie night, she said that she’d come, so long as it was the token appearance thing… until I told her what the movie was and she brightened and said “Okay. I’ll stay for the movie.”

And so, as a fun game, I’m going to ask for a list of movies that would get, oh, 80% of everybody to move from “Okay… I guess I have a social obligation to do something like this” to “Oh… we’re watching that movie? Okay. I’ll stay for the movie.” Because I am pretty sure that there are more movies than the one that he announced that would get that response… but, golly, off the top of my head, I can’t think of another.

So those are the hints. It’s a movie that would get me to say that, it’s a movie that got Maribou to say that, and (I betcha), it’s a movie that would get 80% of you guys to say “Okay. I’ll stay for the movie.”

So… what were we watching?

50 thoughts on “Sunday!

1. The all star British-Franco-American production of the Three Musketeers from the 1970s with Michael York, Charleston Heston, Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Christopher Lee, and many others.

2. Saw Cars 3 Friday night, much better offering than Cars 2. Going to see Captain Underpants today.

Saw Wonder Woman last weekend (and it was excellent).

• I was wondering about Cars 3. Maybe I’ll take Junior to the movies for Father’s Day. Although, he tends to like the exact opposite of what I want so we’ll probably end up watching Captain Underpants.

Any movie I’ve never seen before would get me to stay, except children’s movies. Grandma’s Boy always makes me laugh no matter how many times I watch it.

• So Cars 3 – Good message for the kids, good message for adults, and Pixar’s attention to detail is just nothing short of mind blowing.

Captain Underpants is all potty humor, all the time. Kids will love it (if they are still digging potty humor), and adults are not without content, although it is more subtle (well, subtle to a 5 year old, you’d have to be asleep to miss them as an adult).

Anyway, movie budget is blown for the month.

3. When I was studying for the Bar, a friend from lawschool decided to host a movie night as a study break? I brought the old Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn. We ended up watching a Ryan Reynolds romcom but everyone vindicated me by suggesting Robin Hood might have been a better choice.

A classmate who wasn’t there said “But that’s a great movie” when I told her my choice was Robin Hood.

Listen to the film snobs people.

4. My son’s girlfriend is a climatologist at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research). He tells me that at least once a year, some group of the climatologists there get together to watch one of the Sharknado movies for fun.

5. Kent Dorfman, “Flounder,” died yesterday.

I told my housemate, who is a retired lawyer. He took in the news and asked “Do you know what this means?”

I replied “No.”

And he started chanting “Road trip! Road trip! Road trip!”

I told him that I was still too torn up about the death of Fawn Liebowitz, who was killed in a kiln explosion at Emily Dickinson college.

6. If children are include in the invitation obviously a Disney cartoon classic is in order, say Lady and the Tramp, or 101 Dalmations. If adults you probably could not go wrong with Gone with the Wind.

7. I confess, the real reason I asked people to make guesses as to what movie it was going to be was because I wanted ideas for the perfect movie night.

My original suggestion to him was “Raiders of the Lost Ark” as a movie that pretty much everybody would love.

But, from all the suggestions above? I’m thinking Roadhouse might be a winner for the next movie night. Though Big Trouble in Little China is another very strong suggestion.

I’ll probably bring up Gymkata again though.

8. The Usual Suspects.

Although I’d probably suggest Paprika if you let me.

The key to a good movie night movie is that it is both “rewatchable” and going to get enough people watching who haven’t already seen it…

The Good,The Bad, and The Weird fits. As does Love is Zero.

9. I’m thinking A Knight’s Tale, but is it too soon? I suspect that seeing it with a group of people, someone would turn melancholy and it’d affect the whole room.

• I don’t think so. The Joker character is very much associated with his death in the popular imagination, but that character was such a departure from his Knights Tale / 10 Things phase that I believe most people will associate those performances subconsciously as if it were another actor.

10. There is not a movie on earth that would cause me to go to a co-worker movie night on a weekend.

I am on good terms with my co-workers when I am at the office with them. I will go out for lunch with them at most twice a month. When I leave the office, the factory whistle has blown, and I am not at the office.