Weekend!

When we were out in Qatar, we worked an average of 12 hours a day. It was kinda nuts. Now, I didn’t mind particularly… it’s not like I am some kind of social butterfly or anything. But we get back and management tells us to take a couple of days off and to quit working like crazy people who don’t have lives.

They initially wanted us to take off Monday/Tuesday, but for various birthday-related reasons, I opted to take off Thursday/Friday. Walking out on Wednesday night, management told me “Don’t even *THINK* about this place.”

So, this weekend, I’m not doing *ANYTHING*. Well, nothing particularly strenuous. I put some time into writing the fifth travelogue post (with pictures!) and figuring out which anecdotes to tell in the post and which ones should be put below the fold in the comments. I’m going to get to go to Costco and PetSmart and Whole Foods and whatnot to run the errands that hadn’t been run since before I left… but, mostly, I’m going to sit in the basement with the cats and the video game that Maribou got me.

And just luxuriate in the fact that I am home with my family again in a place that has pork products.

So… what’s on your docket?

(Image is “Play” by Clare Briggs. Used with permission of the Briggs estate.)

16 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. I took today off and spent a good chunk of it fighting our yard. It was dethatched and raked last night, then dressed with compost, seeded and watered today. Exhausting work but hopefully our yard will soon have more grass than weeds.

UFC tomorrow night, a quick trip to the farm on Sunday. Then back to work on Monday so I can rest.

2. I have to work tonight, Saturday night, and Sunday morning.

We’re suddenly and rather unavoidably shorthanded (multiple personal emergencies for coworkers), so right now I’m just trying to figure out whether I will also have to work the following Friday and Saturday nights and/or Sunday morning…

Sigh.

3. Finishing up the second weekend of Day Out With Thomas this weekend (six 12-14 hour days) Spent part of today figuring out how I am going to spend my 120 hours of comp/vacation time I have left this year ;)

Two more days then sleep on Monday and go see Bladerunner double feature woo hoo

4. I was planning on sleeping all weekend because I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night to pump breast milk for surrobabe and I’ve returned to work full time. Tough combo. Instead I think I’ll knock out some baby shower planning for my best friend, birthday celebrating for another best friend, and selling the excess breast milk (which is a lot more work than I had thought/hoped). No rest for the wicked.

Glad you made it home safe, JB.

5. So, I bought an old house a few months ago and am now knee deep into making it habitable. Not that one could not live in it at the time of purchase, but there are always things to be done, and in the process of that I found knob and tube wiring, live in the walls. So I have stopped everything else to deal with this, as it can be quite dangerous.

But, I will need a break, and what better way than a carousel ride! If you live in the PNW you should definitely check this out.

6. Its a three day weekend for me. The monthly Gotham Swing Club dance with three hours of lessons on Saturday. Sunday I might head into the city and walk around. Monday will be laundry day.

7. Today is my wife’s birthday and I will be taking her to dinner. The catch is that our 2 week old son will be coming along too. He did well with friends over for the Redskins game Monday and visiting my family last weekend so we will see how a restaurant works out. Our plan is to get him milk drunk immediately before we leave and hope he sleeps through the whole thing.